Basics: Polka-dot Nails


This is a long overdue post. Was supposed to post this the day after my previous post, but oh well, better late than never! :) Here's a basic post on how I do my polka dot nails - the first with big dots and then again with smaller dots!



L to R: OPI Did You 'Ear About Van Gogh, OPI Thanks a Windmillion, Seche Vite Top Coat, Dotting Tool

Using Windmillion as a base


Start in the middle of the nail and dot equal distances going both ways away from the middle dot. When it gets to a point where the entire dot can't fit, just dot what fits so the pattern looks more complete.

Start on the row next to it and dot a roughly equal distance between the dots in the previous row.

Repeat on the other side and do as many rows as necessary!

Let dry and don't worry about the dots being uneven - top coat will smooth it right over!

Now for the smaller polka-dots, done with the same technique. Just to show how different sized dots look. I really like how these ones turned out!

Revlon Black Lingerie, Diana White, Dotting Tool

Plastic sheet that I recycle everytime I do dots on my nails, reminds me of a paint palette!

White for the base layer

Tiny dots of black (Again, starting down the center)

Repeat the process above and ta-da!

Halfway while dotting the black starting tacky and leaving black strands on my nails :( Covered them up with white polish (If you look close enough you'll see!) But if you cover them properly and apply a top coat afterwards it'll hardly be noticeable!

And moving further away the imperfections are even less obvious.



And the nails featuring in my outfit shot! @rebeccajoytan

I'll probably do more basics posts in the future featuring nail striping tape, nail stamps, nail foil and more! :) x

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

@halfinchnails on Instagram!

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Hi there!

Hi there!
I'm Rebecca, a nail polish hoarder from Singapore. Here's a space where I'll share my favourite nail polishes of the moment, nail art tutorials, swatches and more! x

Contact me at 0.5inchnails@gmail.com