Basics: Fishtail Nails


After coming across fishtail nails online, I loved how simple but impressive they look! Contrary to how they look, it isn't all that difficult. The only thing that's frustrating is the waiting time between layers.

Start by choosing your three fishtail colours - I'm using Black, White and Gold
(L to R: Base Coat, Diana White, Revlon Black Lingerie, Barry M Nail Effects in Gold Foil)

Step 1: Choose one of the 3 fishtail colours as a base colour. Choosing the lightest colour worked best for me because of all the layering involved!

Step 2: Start at one of the top corners and paint a diagonal stripe down with the nail polish brush

Step 3: Do the same starting from the other corner with the last colour

Step 4: Continue overlapping the colours alternating on the left and right. Go in the same sequence - for me it was White, Black, Gold, repeat!

Step 5: Keep going even though it might look strange at this point. It'll work out when you get to the end of the nail. Remember to keep the thickness of the stripes as even as you can.

I started getting lazy at this point (and tired of waiting for the polish to dry) so instead of doing a full stripe I stopped midway because it was gonna be covered up by the next layer anyway!


Almost there...

And complete!





Daily #ootd off Instagram

Also wore these nails to Laneway 2014!





I'll definitely be doing fishtail nails again in the future and experimenting with different colour combinations. There's so much potential for these, even just as an accent nail. Hope I managed to make the tutorial easy enough :) x

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

@halfinchnails on Instagram!

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Hi there!

Hi there!
I'm Rebecca, a nail polish hoarder from Singapore. Here's a space where I'll share my favourite nail polishes of the moment, nail art tutorials, swatches and more! x

Contact me at 0.5inchnails@gmail.com